JULIA ROONEY MUSIC STUDIO
Achieve your musical goals - big or small!
I welcome every opportunity to share my joy of music with my students in a fun and supportive learning environment
- Master of Music in Opera, University of British Columbia
- Bachelor of Music in Opera, University of British Columbia
- Summer Academy Diplomas, Mozarteum University in Austria
- Piano & Voice Training, Mount Royal College Conservatory in Calgary
- Training at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts, NYC
- French Immersion Certificate, Province of Alberta
- Over 5 years of teaching experience
- Over 10 years of working with children
- Considerable experience working with English Language Learners
- Some experience working with students on the Autism Spectrum
- Some experience working with students with learning disabilities
- Experienced musician regularly performing and teaching in Vancouver
- Singing (All Levels)
- Piano (Beginner)
- Music & Movement
- Music Theory
- Convenient classes in your home (Vancouver West Side, other areas to be considered)
- Daytime Lessons (Weekday & Weekends) Available
- After School Lesson Times Available
- Private Lessons (one on one) with the option to create your own Semi-Private Group for Singing or Music & Movement
- Recommended for ages 7+
- Develop confidence in singing while increasing your range
- Learn to breathe properly to support your sound
- Learn how to project a clear, healthy singing voice that does not tire easily
- Work on voice repertoire in classical, musical theatre, folk, or jazz styles
- Julia has helped many students prepare for auditions, RCM exams, musical productions, talent shows, open mic nights, choir concerts, and even for singing roles in films
- Piano, Digital Piano, or Keyboard required for the lessons
- Recommended for ages 5+
- Develop musicality and proper piano technique
- Learn how to play piano with skill, confidence, and enjoyment
- Work through the Faber Piano Adventures Series
- Learn to read music on the staff (treble and bass clefs)
- Julia has worked with beginner students of all ages
- Piano, Digital Piano, or Keyboard required for the lessons (it is highly recommended to have weighted keys)
Music & Movement Classes
- Recommended for children 3 to 8 years old
- Day-time classes available during the week
- Classes include singing, actions, and creativity!
- You select the classmates by putting together a small group of your child's friends (can also be done as a private class)
- Parent participation is required for the first few classes. Following this, parents may enjoy a coffee hour nearby in the home, however each parent is responsible for their own child for the duration of the class.
- No required equipment, just an open area is needed
Music Theory Classes
- Recommended for ages 8+
- Available as an add-on to Singing or Piano lessons
- Increase your lesson time by 15 minutes to add Music Theory
- Work through the Royal Conservatory of Music Celebrate Theory levels
- An excellent way for singing students to learn how to read music
Private Lesson RaTES
- No taxes or travel surcharges
- $45 for a 30-minute lesson
- $55 for a 45-minute lesson
- $65 for a 60-minute lesson or for two 30-minute lessons at the same location
SeMI-Private Class RaTES
- For Singing or Music & Movement classes only
- No taxes or travel surcharges
- 4 Students is $25 each for a 60-minute lesson / $16 each for a 30-minute lesson
- 3 Students is $30 each for a 60-minute lesson / $20 each for a 30-minute lesson
- 2 Students is $35 each for a 60-minute lesson / $24 each for a 30-minute lesson
PAyment & Billing
- After your registration has been processed, you will receive a detailed invoice of your lesson time, dates, and payment required.
- In order to confirm/hold your lesson time, you must pay for the full term or split payment into 2 installments. Payment is due on your first class of the term.
- Cash, Cheques, and Interac E-Transfers are accepted. If you opt to split payment, a post-dated cheque dated half-way through the term is required for your 2nd installment. Please make cheques payable to Julia Rooney Kot.
- Receipts will be issued via email each time payment is received.
STUDIO Cancellation Policies
- Lessons are scheduled weekly at the same time for the duration of a term.
- You are allowed to cancel 2 lessons per term. A minimum of 24 hours notice is required to cancel a lesson to be eligible for a make-up lesson. A maximum of 2 make-up lessons is allowed per term.
- If Julia cancels a lesson due to her non-availability, it will be rescheduled as possible or carry over to the next term as credit. A lesson cancelled and rescheduled by Julia is not counted as a make-up lesson.
A Little Bit About JULIA ROONEY:
I come from a very musical background partly because I just began to sing all the time from the age of three. I loved music classes in preschool so much that I asked for a piano for my fifth birthday. I began taking piano lessons and enjoyed playing and singing at the same time so I asked to join a choir at age 6 and asked for private singing lessons at age 7. Growing up (first in Saskatoon, then in Calgary), I enjoyed competing in local music festivals in classical voice and musical theatre while continuing to play piano and study music theory in the RCM system as well. I decided to make opera my focus in post-secondary education (BMus & MMus, UBC), but continue to enjoy a variety of musical styles and instruments.
Currently, I am an active musician and teacher in Vancouver, a member of the Vancouver Opera Chorus, and have recently been seen performing with the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra, Bard on the Beach, UBC Opera, UBC Symphony Orchestra, Applause Musicals, Fear No Opera (Victoria), Westben Arts Festival Theatre (Ontario), and the North Czech Philharmonic, as well as on tour across BC with Vancouver Opera in Schools during the 2013-2014 season. My private music studio was officially established in 2015 after teaching on and off for a number of years. In the spring of 2017, I held my first studio recital, which I am excited to say will become a regular semi-annual performance opportunity for my students.